Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Definition of a Perfect Winter Evening

Sixteen years ago, I would have spent a winter evening playing silly games with my cousins. Seventeen years ago, I would be in my mother's arms, wrapped up in layers of warmth. However, the one evening I do seem to remember vividly is one which I spent neither with my mother, nor with the rest of the lot. It was an evening I spent with a girl. A girl, special in ways I cannot describe...

I remember how she lit up when she saw me first. I bet she couldn't say the same - I was glowing on the inside. She said "hey", I gestured hello. They say nothing can beat the high that pure chocolate gives you. I had gorged on chocolates that day, the very best kind. I was happier somehow, going against what they say...

We stood there, hung around, we chatted for a bit, completed the formalities, bid our goodbyes to the rest of them and drove off to a distant place. More solace means you have to put less effort into listening to what she's saying. She's so soft, it's almost a whisper. Not when she's angry though, 'cause then she's just loud. She doesn't care. I don't care...

She wasn't wearing anything warm. She didn't ask me for mine. I wanted to offer it all along. I didn't. I just hoped she was warm enough. Now that I come to think of it, I should have done it, shouldn't I ? Well, we carried on. We sipped on her favourite drink, and it's not a Bloody Mary. It's much simpler, much cooler - almost like herself, one might think. If it wasn't for the warmth, I'd have started feeling cold from the drink, and the winter breeze...

The Sun was just about announcing that it was time to go. For itself, and for us too. She said goodbye, and this time she had a slightly shy smile on her lips. I said goodbye too, and I had a hint of a smile on mine.

No comments: